The unusual tradition in Ukraine
December 28, 2010 1 Comment
Known as an ancient tradition, in central-European countries like Poland and the Czech Republic, Wet Monday appears to be very popular in Ukraine, as well. It takes place on the second day of Easter
Wet Monday started out, in Poland,as a pagan custom that symbolize cleansing, with the coming of Spring. When Christianity became the main religion, Wet Monday was adopted as a Christian ritual, related to cleansing souls of sins. The truth is people loved this tradition so much, they found a way to keep it, by associating it with religion.
The photos below were taken on Wet Monday, in the Ukrainian city of Lviv. They are copyright of Yurko Dyachyshyn.
On Wet Monday. boys and men armed with bottles and buckets of water, chase after girls and splash them from head to toe. According to the original custom, the most beautiful girl in a village would be the wettest, but nowadays, boys just splash any girl they see. At one point, the tradition got so out of hand that boys threw buckets of water, at girls, threw their car windows.
With the current water shortage the world is facing right now, some would say this is a terrible waste, but the boys with water bottles wouldn’t dream of abandoning this ancient tradition. just look at those happy faces.
- Forest Spiral Building
- Pools you’ll probably never swim in [Kolam Renang yg mungkin tidak akan pernah bisa anda coba]
- The bears are back in town
- Night sky of the underground [Langit di dalam gua]
- Ngintip Cara Kerja Paparazzi
- The 20 Most Romantic Islands of the World
- Winter Storm Turns Lighthouse Into An Ice Castle [Badai Salju musim dingin, merubah Mercusuar menjadi Kastil Es]
- Nungwi Beach is one of the best summer vacation places [Salah satu surga dunia]